June 7, 2019

How I fix water damaged keyboard

Few days ago, I accidentally spilled a full mug of sugared Twinnings tea to my Logitech G100S keyboard while I was vacuum cleaning my table. I quickly removed all the keycaps (uh, hard work) and dried all leftover water with kleenex and wiped it clean with alkylbenzene sulfonate (Mr. Muscle).

After spending at least 2 hours cleaning it, I put all the keycaps back, and unsurprisingly, some keys have totally stopped, while the others seems to type down random numbers/alphabets by itself. It was so frustating!

Anyway I didn't think much of it, I thought I just had to get myself a new keyboard because I had been using the G100S for five years anyway. Later that day, I went out and bought myself a Sades Thyrsus, because I thought it looked pretty nice and ok for the price, like super cheap! Only around USD 39 for a RGB mechanical keyboard) It's a bargain!

When I got home, my G100S keyboard was still in the same state as before, not working properly at all, like typing some random shits on its own. I unplugged the keyboard and put it on my table to let it dries off perfectly.

And today, I plugged it back and my keyboard is PERFECTLY fine! But I've just started to adjust better to my Thyrsus, so for a while I'll be using this mechanical keyboard. I didn't care/know much about mechanical keyboard but this one seems to have a blue kaihl mechanical switch which is super clicky and loud! My friends on discord are always complaining about how noisy my keyboard is, lol. But I should get myself a new keyboard for a back up before I fly to Europe because their keyboard is different (they have more alphabets), using European keyboard is really stressing me out! ㅠㅠ

2 comments: