December 7, 2020

Blogging 101: Unlimited Google Storage for Blogger Photos

For us blogger, it's extremely important for us to know where we are uploading our photos into. For me, I've been using Google photos, simply because Google is blogger's official host and all images uploaded from blogger will be stashed in your Google photos and I would stay away from 3rd party image hosting site like Ph*t*buck*t, because I want my images to stay and appear on my blog forever (or as long as Google is alive!), like, we wouldn't know how long site like Ph*t*buck*t or tinyp*c can last. it's not like I'm trying to bring those sites down, just that, in my case, I trust Google more. Also, I don't want my image to look like this:


or worse:

Google Photos

Now let's talk about Google Photos. Google provides free 15 GB limit to each account, all form of files you send/receive on your Gmail and images you upload from blogger will count towards the storage you have from Google. 

it's not unlimited until you set your upload size

This really important for us bloggers, do set your upload size to 'high quality' to get unlimited free storage from Google. Mine was originally set to "original quality" and I had to manually switch it to 'high quality' (which will resize all photos uploaded into Blogger to fit into the 2,048-pixel cap) to be able to upload as many images as I want to blogger (Google) photos without worrying about the 15GB quota. Yes, using blogger 'insert image' feature and 'upload from your computer' will count towards your Google storage quota and all images uploaded from Blogger will be stored in your Google album archive. Though, if you want, you can always buy more storage from Google.

Check Google upload setting HERE.
Change your upload size HERE.
Check your Google Photo storage HERE.




it's not free forever...

Unfortunately, Google will end unlimited uploads service as of June 1st, 2021. But photos uploaded before June 2021 will not count towards users' limits. So make sure you utilize their service at least until June 1st! 
I hope you will find this information useful! 

13 comments:

  1. Hello, Kim Young.
    Your review is very interesting and of course informative for all of us.

    I just found out from your post that the Google Photos service will no longer be free. Hopefully the cost is not expensive when the cost is applied, if it is expensive it will reduce the interest of many people.

    Greetings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the information, Young ๐Ÿ˜

    Honestly I never know about this kind of thing ๐Ÿคฃ
    I wish the price not that expensive ๐Ÿ˜

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to have photobucket too until they start charging. Then I turn to Flickr and they also starts to charge. Now I am just uploading my photos in blogger itself. I wonder how much space I have used.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, you can check how much you've used Google Photo storage here: https://one.google.com/storage

      Delete
  4. This is such good info! Thanks for sharing!

    -Ashley
    Le Stylo Rouge

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh gracious! Thank you for this information. My son-in-law did change my settings to high quality, but I didn't know the free service was going to end. Darn!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for this useful information! ๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€ Yes, starting next year, Google will change policy huhuu ๐Ÿ˜ฉ And if you don't use google account for more than 2 years, the photos, files, etc in that account will be deleted. I too concern about this because I have more than 1 google account to store photos ๐Ÿ˜… And I didn't know that we can get unlimited storage for high quality image. I will change it to high quality then. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you very much for this important information that is very useful for us users.
    I hope Google doesn't charge high prices for photos that exceed the maximum limit
    Have a great day
    Regards

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great information. I used to use Photobucket, but all of my photos got watermarked or disappeared. Google is definitely the way to go now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the information, very useful for us bloggers. Your post has so many lovely and interesting photos. The colours are beautiful too

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah this totally sucks doesn't it! I used Photobucket before then had trouble when they changed :-(

    ReplyDelete